Tuesday 14 February 2012

Questions and stencils


A choice shot taken on the railway line.  I love Brunswick.
?

I suspect my blog name is causing me some issues.  I wish I had someone to answer my burning blog questions...google is not cutting it, and I am not savvy enough on blogger yet to work out my problems.  As I flick through the blogs all around mine (using the 'Next Blog' button), I find myself wading through blog, after blog...after blog of people who are very religious.  Hopefully, as my blogging and searching skills improve I will be able to avoid this.  Happy for the religious types to blog away...just not too keen to read about it.  If someone can help me get out of the religion loop please advise!

Lovely thing that I stumbled across in the local park.
 As an aside, as I walked my four year old to her first kinder session last week we passed through a local park (very tiny and situated on the site of an old school...sadly bulldozed to make way for townhouses).  This image was carefully sprayed onto one of the concrete dividers which double as seats.  I love finding such treasures in such unexpected places.  I took several photos, many with the four year old posing beside it.

and your very flesh shall be a great poem


Brunswick is awash with graffiti.  Some is cool, some not.  Cafe walls are thoughfully stencil bombed by aspiring artists and provide visual treats for those of us sitting and sipping our beverages.  COOL. 

Last week I went to the doctors.  I left my house and walked up our side lane at 4.45pm, I returned at 5.55pm, in this time some huge tags and crude drawings had been sprayed onto our rendered fence.  My partner had wondered why the dogs were going crazy in the backyard.  I spent the next two hours sanding it off to the best of my ability.  There are still remnants of a woman's face (2 metres by 2 metres) and a girl holding a balloon.  Sounds cool doesn't it?  Well, these were not done by Banksy.  I was very pleased that we did not get the 'dick and balls' that was drawn on the neighbour's fence in the same lurid blue and pink.  UNCOOL.

An oldie from the Fitwear factory.
I really like some of the quirky arty things that pop up on walls around here.  Last year there was a spinning wheel for passer bys to have a spin of, sometimes there are blackboards and chalk attached to walls inviting people to write comments. 


I can't remember what I was 'most likely' to do...
I really like the stencil graffiti most of all.  Tiny bombs of it here and there, sometimes where you least expect it.  There is a really cool cat face in the walk through to the supermarket...I must remember to take my camera with me next time I go.
Rosser Street

Franco we know where you live










Over the years I have taken a few shots of some of the more memorable  'art' around my neighbourhood.  I'm sure that any locals who look at this will remember Franco on the side of Ali Baba's Brunswick Variety Store??  It was a sad day when Ali Baba's closed down to be replaced with a car radio place.   Now the line is painted over in multicolours. I think I might get a t-shirt with it printed on the front.









The car park at the Meds.
The car park at the Meds

I noticed a few new works in the Mediterranean Wholesaler car park last week.  Such a treat to stumble across something cool that has obviously had a bit of effort put into it.  As far as I'm concerned, these artists are welcome in my neighbourhood.  You other idiots with a spray can and no imagination...stay home please.

**All images in this post (and most in my blog) are my own.  If you use them, please acknowledge them as such.










1 comment: