Tuesday 31 July 2012

Cooking for the Mothers' Day Cake Stall


Another half written post, finally finished off and put on the blog!

                                             *              *               *                  *

I now have a child in kindergarten. One would think this means more time for me to do the things I need to do (work, clean, cook...and I don't know, scratch myself!).  Instead, I find myself on the seemlingly endless trek back and forth from kinder, the three hours sessions feel far too short, and it always seems that I have just got the baby off to sleep when I have to go and pick up the four year old, or drop her off.  Then there is the after kinder play in the park.  All the cool kids do it.  And all the cool mums go along.  There are also special events (like Mothers' day), pizza night, the fete, etc.  Kinder seems to be taking over my life.  And not in a good way.

Having said that, my four year old LOVES it.  She has made a million new friends in her group of about 21 kids.  15 of the kids are boys, and I think this is great.  They seem to just 'get on' and do stuff, rather than wishy-washing around.  The five other girls tend to be rather 'princessy' only children.  Not really our cup of tea.

Organic fermented cocoa beans from Tanzania
Dark roasted Blavatsky coffee beans.
Anyway, the most recent Kinder Event that required me to participate was Mothers' Day.  We had to attend a morning tea at the kinder, with scones baked by the group.  Our daughter was very excited to have us visit.  It was nice to see her having such a great time, although, an hour did seems a bit long!  This was followed up by the Mothers' Day cake stall.  We had to bake something, wrap it artily and deliver it to kinder for their stall just before Mothers' Day.  I am not the best cake maker (this in my partner's fortay), but I can do a mean biscuit!  A friend had recently posted some pics of her 'Coffee Snaps' on Facebook, along with the recipe, and I thought I'd give them a bash.  I decided to make double the quanitity and make half coffee and half chocolate.  They were both delicious...although the chocolate ones are all finished, and we are still getting through the coffee ones.  Read into that what you will!

So, how do you make a coffee/cocoa snap?  Read on!

 Coffee/Cocoa Snaps Ah La Anna (Makes 70)


125g butter, softened
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons ground espresso coffee (I use 6)  or if making cocoa version 6 teaspoons good quality cocoa
3 teaspoons vanilla extract (I use homemade stuff given to me by a friend.  It is an organic vanilla pod which has been infusing into vodka...delish!)
1 egg
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup self-raising flour
70 coffee beans or cocoa nibs

Preheat oven to 160C (fan-forced oven) - grease oven trays

Beat sugar, butter, coffee or cocoa & extract in small bowl with electric mixer until pale and fluffy (it isn't pale if you are making the cocoa version). Add egg; beat until just combined. Stir in sifted flours.

Roll rounded teaspoons of the mixture into balls. Place 3cm apart on trays. Top each with a coffee bean or cocoa nibs (my daughter has also made a  batch with M&Ms on tops). Bake, uncovered, about 10 mins or until browned. Stand 5 mins; transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Eat until you start to shake!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment